Make Your Own: Luscious Lip Balm!Posted by Erica Robinson on Feb 14, 2012 in Body Care, Natural Beauty, Natural Cosmetics, Recipes | 0 comments
So I’ve been on a kick of taking my whole “Make Your Own Body Care” to the next level. This time around, we’re talking lip balm! And for my very first go, I have to say, this recipe that I created myself turned out ridiculously well and supremely effective. Dare I say it’s the BEST lip balm I’ve ever worn, and I myself am a lip balm connoisseur!
I found some basic guidelines online though I can’t remember where now, and the formula I went with is intended for a “stick” lip balm therefore it’s harder. It does very well in pots, too though.
Lip Balm Recipe
- Heat-safe glass jar
- Lip balm containers (probably about 8-10)
- Food scale
- 1.5oz beeswax
- 1.5oz shea butter
- 1oz cocoa butter
- 1oz coconut oil
- 0.5oz olive or almond oil
- 0.5oz castor oil
- 1tsp vitamin E oil
- 1-2tsp vanilla extract in an alcohol base only (water base won’t mix) or other flavour
- Combine all ingredients except vitamin E oil and flavouring in a glass jar, place in a pot filled with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat until all the items melt
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly before adding vitamin E oil and flavouring
- Pour into lip balm pots or sticks, put in the fridge or freezer to harden
- To use: apply directly to lips and be snog-worthy!
- Beeswax – provides a coating or barrier against winter weather
- Cocoa and shea butter provide a thicker, richer moisture layer
- Coconut and olive provide a thinner moisturizing effect
- Castor oil for shine – if this balm is for men, you may want to opt for more olive oil instead, unless he likes the LL Cool J circa 1998 look (glossy!)
- Vitamin E – preservation